a couple of months ago

VIDEO: Everything You Need To Know About Super Gonorrhea

Super Gonorrhea

You’ve probably seen a bunch of scary articles lately about a new drug resistant strain of gonorrhoea called SUPER GONORRHOEA.

Here's what Super Gonorrhea is it, how worried should you be, and how can you protect yourself.

More...

Watch The Video, Or Read The Blog Post. Your Choice...

What The Hell Is Gonorrhea Anyway?

Super gonorrhoea is regular gonorrhoea that has become resistant to most forms of treatment we have available today.

Gonorrhea is a bacterial infection that affects more than 78 million people per year and is the second most reported sexually transmitted infection in the United States.

Gonorrhea is transmitted through sexual contact with the penis, vagina, throat, or anus of an infected person.

What sucks about gonorrhea is that it’s mostly asymptomatic, meaning you can have it, show no symptom, and still give it to someone else.

If you do have symptoms though, they can include penile, vaginal, and rectal discharge, pain during sex and urination. Swollen testicals for men and bleeding between periods for women.

Super Gonorrhea

This is gonorrhea and it looks like a pair of hairy testicals. No one really likes hairy testicals.

Also if you get it in your throat, you can get a sore throat but most of those infections are asymptomatic as well.

Untreated Super Gonorrhea Can Really Do Some Damage​

Since most people won’t have any symptoms at all, it’s really hard to know if you have it unless you get tested often (which you should be if you're sexually active and have multiple partners).

Untreated gonorrhoea in women can cause pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)which can lead to internal abscesses and chronic pelvic pain. It can even lead to infertility or increase the risk of ectopic pregnancy.

Untreated gonorrhoea in men can lead to infection of the testicles, prostate, or the epididymis (the tube that brings the sperm to the vas deferens, which sends it to the urethra), and could thereby lead to infertility.

It also can increase a person’s risk of acquiring or transmitting HIV. Bad news indeed. 

So, Should You Be Worried About Super Gonorrhea? 

Absolutely.

Gonorrhoea is a very smart bug, and has developed resistance to almost every antibiotic we’ve thrown at it.

The good news is that it’s easy to detect and the majority of contractions aren't yet the new superbug resistant to all forms of treatment. 

There have only been 3 confirmed cases where the bacteria has been completely resistant to all forms of treatment.

However, these cases may just be the tip of the iceberg, since systems to diagnose and report untreatable infections are lacking in lower-income countries where gonorrhea is actually more common.

So, What Does This Mean For You?

It means that you need to use a condom when having sex with new partners, or with partners who have multiple partners, or with people who aren’t 100% sure of their sexual health.

Unless you're a lesbian, you should have a bunch of these everywhere.

The use of condoms is extremely effective at preventing the spread of gonorrhea. The problem is that it’s much more likely to be spread through unprotected oral sex, because let’s be honest, most people don’t use condoms or dental dams when performing oral sex. I know I don’t.

Oral sex, which is often viewed as a safer alternative to unprotected vaginal or anal sex, isn’t all that safe when we consider just how contagious gonorrhea is.

Gonorrhea it’s crazy contagious. If you engage in just one unprotected sex act with someone who has gonorrhea, women will have a 50-80% chance of getting it and men will have a 20%-50% chance of getting. That’s crazy contagious.

Scientists and drug manufacturers are working on new treatments and a vaccine but until they’ve been approved by the FDA, we’re on our own.

Three Questions To Ask Yourself Before Having Sex With Someone:​

Better sexual health begins with education, safer sex practices, and communication.

Remember gonorrhea is spread through sexual contact. That means fingers, toys, penises, pussies and mouths are all ways you can transmit, even if you have no symptoms. Think about that for a second.

Get tested regularly, and make sure that your partners get tested regularly as well.

Before you let a penis or a vagina anywhere near your body, ask yourself these three questions:

1. “Has this person been tested recently?”

2. “Does this person engage in safer sex practices?”

3. “Is what I’m about to do worth the risk?”

If you can answer YES to these three questions, then knock yourself out.

Wanna Know How To Talk About Sexual Health With Your New Partner?

Be safe, get tested regularly, always wear a condom, and have open and honest discussions about your status, the last time you were tested, and your safer sex practices.

Or stop having sex. Those are your options. Right, I thought so. ​

Bold Enough To Share?

Shaun Galanos

Shaun Galanos is The Love Drive. He believes we all deserve love and works to help men (and women) develop more intimate relationships through honest and playful communication. He lives, writes, and makes videos in Montreal.

Shy or Anxious? | Easily Talk To Anyone with These 3 Kickass Openers. FREE DOWNLOAD

x